OBJECTID: 40859 Monument Identifier: DU01202 Classification: CATH Irish Grid Easting: 315193 Irish Grid Northing: 233505 RMP_PROP: 1 County ID: 9 WebNotes: St. Patricks cathedral built in the 13th-century was the largest church in Medieval Ireland. It occupied the site of a pre - Norman church known as St. Patrick in insula which is mentioned c. 1121 and in the earliest lists of Dublin City Parishes as in 1179 (Gwynn & Hadcock 1970, 71-72, Clarke 2002, 17, A 15). Archbishop Henry of London commenced the building of the new cathedral c. 1225 (Sweetman 1875, 1, No. 1241). It became the first University of Ireland (1320-1520). By the 16thcentury, it was in ruinous condition but restored to its present stale in the 19thcentury. The 13th century church was of cruciform plan, with a choir, aisled transepts andaisled nave (L 87.17, Wth across transepts 48.9m). The Lady chapel was added to the E end in the 13th-century. A tower built in 1372AD adjoins the N side of the W end. The cathedral was originally entered in the W gable. The S porch is a 19th century addition. There are eight bays in the nave, three in each transept and four in the choir. The original vaulting of the nave has gone but there are some original sections of arches. The choir consists of three stages arcade: triforium and clerestorey. The only 13th-century portions are part of the wall ribs and part of the arch. Most of the capitals at triforium level are of 13th-century date. The crossing is formed by four piers supporting a diagonal ribing. The N transept is largely an 19th-century re-building but the S transept contains a number of original Gothic capitals and vaulting. Within the cathedral are a large number of medieval monuments and artifacts. Floor tiles of 14th-15th century date were recovered during the 19thcentury reconstruction and are reset in the baptistry. Within the cathedral is a granite font which was formerly attached to a pier in the W aisle of the nave (Wth 0.72m; H 0.96m; D 0.72m) five pre-Norman graveslabs (O hEalidhe 1975, 59-600; effigies include Fulk de Saundford d. 1271; a 13th-century priest or deacon; an archbishop c. 1300 in the Stransept (Hunt 1974, Pl 71, 73, 81 & 85). There are a large number of wall memorials including Robert Sutton d. 1528; Geoffrey Fyche d. 1537; Sir Edward Ffitton d. 1599; Mary Sent leger 1603; Sir Henry Wallop d. 1608; Thos. Jones 1619 and Nicholas Kenan 1616. (Rae 1979, 29-73, Ronan 1941, 1-8; Bradley & King 1987, 1, 73-93; Bradley 1988, 91-92, Clarke 2002, 18, A15).
A full account of the history of the cathedral may be reviewed on the following website: http://www.stpatrickscathedral.ie/History-Timeline.aspx
Compiled by: Geraldine Stout
Updated by: Paul Walsh
Revised date of upload: 30 April 2015 Zone Code: R178299 ITM Easting: 715119 ITM Northing: 733531 SHAPE: Point Att.: 0 Class: Cathedral SMR No.: DU018-020269- Townland: Dublin South City Point: X: 715119.0 Y: 733531.0 Spatial Reference: 2157