OBJECTID: 58186 Monument Identifier: KE00953 Classification: CAST Irish Grid Easting: 89241 Irish Grid Northing: 129038 RMP_PROP: 1 County ID: 12 WebNotes: The original Lixnaw Castle was probably built in the 12th or 13th century by the Baron of Lixnaw. Maurice, second Lord of Kerry, sat in the Parliament of 1295; he married Mary, of Scotch descent, and with her he acquired the lands of Galey O'Brenan and Cloghan Mac Quin.
According to Miss Hickson (1883-84) Lixnaw was an immensely strong square castle built on slightly elevated land close to the River Brick. The possible site of the original castle can still be traced today. The enclosed mound, which is situated on elevated land, measures 30m N-S and 34m E-W. Immediately NE of this rise is a quarry, while to the SE lies the 'Cock House' (1012) (both being later additions). This raised mound is enclosed by a bank which encircles the whole area. Two gaps are to be noticed, one to the N measuring 22m, the other S to ESE measuring 58m. This was in turn encircled by another bank, but this can only be traced on the W side. There is a large, wide bank, measuring 26m in width, on the W side. This bank is only traceable for 113m, with a gap of 6m which is possibly the original entrance to the castle ground area. It is facing the River Brick, and boats could have come right up to this point, where entrance was probably gained by a drawbridge. Though grass covered, the banks encircling the elevated area would appear to have been constructed of stone. There are also some grass-covered wall foundations adjoining the mound, which may be the remains of other buildings.
This castle was the scene of a bloody skirmish in 1568 between Thomas Fitzmaurice, Lord of Kerry, and James Fitzmaurice Fitzgerald, kinsman of the Earl of Desmond. However, the besiegers (Fitzgerald's forces) were routed, leaving the heir to Lickbebune (987), John, son of Garrett Fitzgerald, dead. Lixnaw Castle was to change hands several times during the period 1600-02. In 1600, when the Fitzmaurices took up arms against the Crown, Sir Charles Wilmot marched against them. Although the Irish had prepared the castle for demolition on Wilmot's approach, he took it by surprise and made it his headquarters for operations in the district. In 1601 Thomas Fitzmaurice made peace with the Crown and was regranted his North Kerry estates, but later in the year, with the arrival of the Spaniards in Kinsale, Thomas revolted, and in 1602 Sir Wilmot retook the castle. King James pardoned Fitzmaurice in 1603, and he received a patent in confirmation of his North Kerry estates in 1612.
The above description is derived from C. Toal, ‘North Kerry Archaeological Survey’. Dingle. Brandon in association with FAS Training and Employment Authority (1995), no. 1009. In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of upload: 3 August 2013 Zone Code: R116606 ITM Easting: 489215 ITM Northing: 629088 SHAPE: Point Att.: 0 Class: Castle - Anglo-Norman masonry castle SMR No.: KE015-060---- Townland: LIXNAW Point: X: 489215.0 Y: 629088.0 Spatial Reference: 2157
OBJECTID: 58187 Monument Identifier: KE00954 Classification: HOUS Irish Grid Easting: 89184 Irish Grid Northing: 129149 RMP_PROP: 1 County ID: 12 WebNotes: Across the River Brick are the remains of what is marked on the OS map as 'The Hermitage' but which is locally called 'the Castle'. This structure would appear to be contemporary with the Old Court (1010) giving it a 17th-18th century date, and it could possibly have served as a defensive outpost for the Old Court. The tower measures 16m x 9m externally. Beneath the first floor are four arched cellars. They are not connected to each other, but a passageway runs in a roughly N-S direction which is 14m long and 1m-1.6m wide. The first and last cellars are roughly the same size, 3m x 6.5m, and both have two narrow slit windows that splay inwards; they are now blocked up. The two other cellars measure 2.5m x 5.5m, and their narrow slit windows have also been blocked up. The passageway is lighted on the W side by the disfigured door to the SW, 2.3m wide x 2.6m high, and by three narrow slit windows splaying inwards along the passageway.
The above description is derived from C. Toal, ‘North Kerry Archaeological Survey’. Dingle. Brandon in association with FAS Training and Employment Authority (1995), no. 1010. In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of upload: 3 August 2013 Zone Code: R116606 ITM Easting: 489158 ITM Northing: 629199 SHAPE: Point Att.: 0 Class: House - indeterminate date SMR No.: KE015-060001- Townland: LIXNAW Point: X: 489158.0 Y: 629199.0 Spatial Reference: 2157