OBJECTID: 61126 Monument Identifier: KE02156 Classification: UNCA Irish Grid Easting: 40347 Irish Grid Northing: 109939 RMP_PROP: 1 County ID: 12 WebNotes: Moorestown Castle: Tradition attributes the building of this castle both to the FitzGeralds and the Moores (OSNB Kilquane, 29; Smith 1756, 196). The latter family appear to have been firmly in possession in 1550 when the castle is marked on a contemporary map as 'Castle Moore' (O'Sullivan 1931, 131). The building is known locally as 'Caisleán na gCúig gCúinne' (the five-cornered castle); though a substantial section of it stood in 1841 its plan could not be determined (OSL). The greater part of the remains of the castle were knocked in 1921 owing to their perilous condition (O'Sullivan 1931, 473).
The surviving remnant of the castle consists of section of the SW wall, 5.15m in length x 1.6m thick, and preserved to a height of 3.4m; it incorporates a narrow loop, set in an embrasure with widely splayed ingoings and a lintelled rear arch. At the S end of this wall, a featureless and largely defaced section of walling runs at right angles for a distance of 2.29m. The interior is confused by the foundations of disused dwellings. The castle stood in the old village of Moorestown, on elevated land overlooking the Feohanagh river.
The above description is derived from J. Cuppage, ‘Corca Dhuibhne. Dingle Peninsula archaeological survey. Ballyferriter. Oidhreacht Chorca Dhuibhne’ (1986), no. 1010. In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of upload: 5 August 2013
Zone Code: R102839 ITM Easting: 440332 ITM Northing: 609993 SHAPE: Point Att.: 0 Class: Castle - unclassified SMR No.: KE033-009---- Townland: BAILE AN MHÚRAIGH Point: X: 440332.0 Y: 609993.0 Spatial Reference: 2157