OBJECTID: 62441 Monument Identifier: KE03371 Classification: TOHO Irish Grid Easting: 36076 Irish Grid Northing: 104281 RMP_PROP: 1 County ID: 12 WebNotes: Ballineanig Castle: 'Castle Marhin' appears on Petty's map of Kerry in 1683 and was probably erected shortly before that date (Hitchcock 1855, 348). It was reputedly built by the Ferriters (OSNB Marhin, 19) and its last occupant, Admiral Moriarty, died c. 1810 (Curran no. 19).
In 1841 the N, S, and E walls of the rectangular keep, 9.14m x 7.62m, stood to a maximum height of 6. lm; remains of a stair were visible in the SW angle and 6 square windows were preserved (OSL). With the exception of a small section of one wall, the whole had fallen by 1855 (Hitchcock 1855, 348). There is now no trace of any features associated with the castle; a stone bearing the date 1694, removed from the site in the early 19th century, was viewed by Hitchcock in 1855 but has since disappeared.
The castle stood in the old village of Ballineanig on the S side of Smerwick Harbour.
The above description is derived from J. Cuppage, ‘Corca Dhuibhne. Dingle Peninsula archaeological survey. Ballyferriter. Oidhreacht Chorca Dhuibhne’ (1986), no. 999. In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of upload: 7 August 2013
Zone Code: R102532 ITM Easting: 436062 ITM Northing: 604337 SHAPE: Point Att.: 0 Class: Castle - tower house SMR No.: KE042-096---- Townland: CEATHRÚ AN CHAISLEÁIN Point: X: 436062.0 Y: 604337.0 Spatial Reference: 2157