OBJECTID: 69760 Monument Identifier: KE14247 Classification: TOHO Irish Grid Easting: 44683 Irish Grid Northing: 101253 RMP_PROP: 1 County ID: 12 WebNotes: A castle built by the Husseys was granted to the Earl of Ormond in the confiscations which followed the Desmond Rebellion (Smith 1756, 177). It was subsequently purchased by the Knight of Kerry and later, known as the Market House, it became the official residence of the Sovereign of Dingle (McKenna 1979, 24). The vaults were used as the town jail until 1815 (O'Sullivan 1931, 131). A pointed doorway, probably of medieval origin, was preserved in the remains of a building on the site in 1853 (Hitchcock 1855, 355). A lintelled passageway leading to a chamber, c. 3 x 1m, uncovered in an adjacent garden c. 1952, may also have been associated with this castle (OPW). The site lies at the rear of a business premises on Main Street; inserted in the wall of an adjacent outbuilding is a carved stone decorated with a 16th century paired vine motif with interlaced stem.
The above description is derived from J. Cuppage (compiler) 'Corca Dhuibhne. Dingle Peninsula archaeological survey.' Ballyferriter. Oidhreacht Chorca Dhuibhne (1986), no. 1011. In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of upload: 30 May 2013
Zone Code: R102293 ITM Easting: 444667 ITM Northing: 601309 SHAPE: Point Att.: 0 Class: Castle - tower house SMR No.: KE043-224004- Townland: AN DAINGEAN Point: X: 444667.0 Y: 601309.0 Spatial Reference: 2157