OBJECTID: 63332 Monument Identifier: KE04269 Classification: TOHO Irish Grid Easting: 88932 Irish Grid Northing: 104183 RMP_PROP: 1 County ID: 12 WebNotes: In level pasture, on top of a low rise with extensive views in all directions. Only a portion of the N wall (H c. 4m; L 11m; T 1.45m) now stands of the rectangular structure (c. 12m E-W; c. 5m N-S) indicated on the 1846 OS 6-inch map. The wall is built of roughly coursed limestone. The outer face of the wall stands on a stepped footing to compensate for the fall in ground on this side. In the centre of the N wall is a poorly preserved window embrasure with a single flat-headed light. A lintelled passage (Wth 1.08m; L c. 2m) runs diagonally through the NE corner. Towards the E end of the wall there is a rectangular void (1.03m x 0.7m) which is probably the remains of a garderobe shaft. According to Coleman (1908, 152), this is the remains of a castle built by the Mac Carthys.
Compiled by: Elizabeth Byrne, Ursula Egan and Sheila Ronan, Archaeological Survey Unit, University College, Cork.
Date of upload: 31 January 2011 Zone Code: R104616 ITM Easting: 488906 ITM Northing: 604238 SHAPE: Point Att.: 0 Class: Castle - tower house SMR No.: KE047-034---- Townland: CLOONMEALANE Point: X: 488906.0 Y: 604238.0 Spatial Reference: 2157