OBJECTID: 63307 Monument Identifier: KE04235 Classification: TOHO Irish Grid Easting: 91111 Irish Grid Northing: 104541 RMP_PROP: 1 County ID: 12 WebNotes: In the SW quadrant of a possible ringwork (KE048-038----). Only the SE corner of the tower now stands, the remainder having been demolished in 1809 during the construction of the adjacent Castlefarm House (OSNB, Molahiffy 1, 44). The corner has dressed limestone quoins, and the wall (thickness c. 2.6m) has a base batter. Most of the structure, which stands to at least second-floor level, is heavily encased by ivy. There appears to be a window in the E wall at second-floor level and the side of a window is evident in the S wall at the same height. Molahiff Castle belonged to the Coshmang branch of the MacCarthy More (Bary 1994, 184). After the Desmond Rebellion it was repaired by Valentine Browne (MacCarthy-Morrogh 1986, 127). In the 1840s it was estimated that the surviving SE corner of the castle stood to a height of at least 55ft. [16.76m] (OSL, 202). Molahiffe graveyard (KE048-036----) and church (KE048-03601-) are c. 100m to the S.
Compiled by: Elizabeth Byrne, Ursula Egan and Sheila Ronan, Archaeological Survey Unit, University College, Cork.
Date of upload: 31 January 2011 Zone Code: R104644 ITM Easting: 491085 ITM Northing: 604596 SHAPE: Point Att.: 0 Class: Castle - tower house SMR No.: KE048-039---- Townland: CASTLEFARM Point: X: 491085.0 Y: 604596.0 Spatial Reference: 2157