OBJECTID: 57517 Monument Identifier: KE05061 Classification: UNCA Irish Grid Easting: 42090 Irish Grid Northing: 99924 RMP_PROP: 1 County ID: 12 WebNotes: Ballingolin Castle, which belonged to the Rice family, was forfeited and destroyed prior to 1641 (Smith 1756, 179). The confiscated property was purchased by Frederick Mullins in 1666 and renamed 'Burnham'. The Mullins family subsequently became the largest landowners on the peninsula and were elevated to the peerage in 1800 (McKenna 1979, 54), assuming the title 'Lord Ventry'.
There was no trace of the castle in 1841 (OSL) and no visible remains survive today. The site lies at the W side of Dingle Harbour.
The above description is derived from J. Cuppage, ‘Corca Dhuibhne. Dingle Peninsula archaeological survey. Ballyferriter. Oidhreacht Chorca Dhuibhne’ (1986), no. 1000. In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of upload: 6 August 2013
Zone Code: R102209 ITM Easting: 442075 ITM Northing: 599980 SHAPE: Point Att.: 0 Class: Castle - unclassified SMR No.: KE053-011---- Townland: BAILE AN GHÓILÍN Point: X: 442075.0 Y: 599980.0 Spatial Reference: 2157