OBJECTID: 60159 Monument Identifier: KE06051 Classification: TOHO Irish Grid Easting: 88408 Irish Grid Northing: 93274 RMP_PROP: 1 County ID: 12 WebNotes: In pasture, on a small rise, immediately to the N of Pallis Farm and overlooking the valley of the Laune River. There are no visible remains of the rectangular structure (c. 30m E-W; c. 15m N-S) indicated on the 1846 OS 6-inch map. The area is now occupied by a square enclosure (40m E-W; 38.2m N-S) defined by a bank (Wth 11m; int. H 2.8m; ext. H 3.8m) of earth and stone on its E, S and W sides. The interior slopes gently down to the E and is an irregular undulating area with mounds of earth and stone of no discernible pattern. Some parts are covered in briars and other scrub vegetation. Mature trees are scattered within and cattle have poached the interior. According to local information, the field to the N had a lot of loose stones which are now cleared away. In 1841 it was described as a ruined castle (19ft 6in [5.94m] N-S; c. 35ft [10.66m] E-W), walls (T 6ft 3in [1.9m]) of brown stone, lime and sand mortar and grouted, and with quoins of chamfered limestone (OSL, 484). It was also noted that 'a road jobber removed the materials from the ruin in 1837 to repair the adjoining highway' (OSL, 485). According to local information, the material from the castle was also used to build Pallis Farm nearby to the SE, Beaufort bridge (KE065-125---) and Beaufort House (KE065-118---) to the S. The description of the ruin in 1841 suggests the remains of a tower house. Pallis Castle was a residence of MacCarthy More (Barrington 1976, 218).
Compiled by: Elizabeth Byrne, Ursula Egan and Sheila Ronan, Archaeological Survey Unit, University College, Cork.
Date of upload: 31 January 2011 Zone Code: R103871 ITM Easting: 488382 ITM Northing: 593332 SHAPE: Point Att.: 0 Class: Castle - tower house SMR No.: KE065-019---- Townland: PALLIS Point: X: 488382.0 Y: 593332.0 Spatial Reference: 2157