OBJECTID: 64274 Monument Identifier: KE07573 Classification: UNCA Irish Grid Easting: 53179 Irish Grid Northing: 79465 RMP_PROP: 1 County ID: 12 WebNotes: Short Castle/ Caisleán Gearr: There are no visible remains of this castle which was situated a short distance SE of Killinane church and graveyard (KE080-016001-). Usually referred to as Srugreana castle, it was probably built by the branch of the MacCarthys known as Sliocht Cormac Dunguile (Butler 1925, 54). It is recorded in the OSL as a 'small butt of a building called Caislean Gearr'. A raised platform, 18m E-W and 14m N-S, marks its location. The MacCarthys forfeited Srugreana during the Cromwellian period but recovered it on lease in 1697 (Butler 1925, 55).
The above description is derived from A. O'Sullivan and J. Sheehan (compilers), 'The Iveragh peninsula: an archaeological survey of South Kerry'. Cork University Press (1996), no. 1113. In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research. Date of upload: 31 July 2013 Zone Code: R101837 ITM Easting: 453161 ITM Northing: 579526 SHAPE: Point Att.: 0 Class: Castle - unclassified SMR No.: KE080-017---- Townland: GLEBE (Iveragh By.) Point: X: 453161.0 Y: 579526.0 Spatial Reference: 2157